Patricia Krentcil, infamously dubbed as the “Tan Mom” following a controversial episode involving her young daughter at a tanning salon, has taken a dive into the political arena. The 55-year-old media sensation, originally from Nutley, New Jersey, has officially declared her intentions to run for the U.S. Senate in Florida, seeking to challenge the incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Rick Scott in the 2024 election.
Background: The “Tan Mom” Controversy
- In 2012, Krentcil became the subject of national headlines when she was accused of taking her then 5-year-old daughter into a tanning booth in New Jersey.
- She faced charges of child endangerment after her daughter reportedly suffered burns in the salon. – New Jersey law, at the time, prohibited children under the age of 14 from using tanning booths.
- While she pleaded not guilty, a grand jury later declined to indict her on the charges. Despite this episode, Krentcil has been active in media over the years:
- Frequent appearances on “The Howard Stern Show”
- Starred in the 2023 TV docuseries “Tan to 10,” chronicling her transformation and decision to quit tanning.
- Several music video releases.
A Life of Trials and Transformation
Over the years, Krentcil faced several challenges. She was once admitted to an alcohol rehab center in Palm Beach, Florida, in 2013. In 2019, she underwent a severe health crisis, being hospitalized for pneumonia which led to her being placed in a medically induced coma due to complications, including cardiac arrest and pancreatitis.
But, as Krentcil mentions, these trials have molded her. She stated, “I changed my whole attitude on life. I’ve turned my life around. I don’t get disrespected anymore. I don’t party or do any crazy things.”
Campaign Goals: Equality and Diversity
In line with her own personal experiences and understanding of being different, Krentcil’s campaign will be anchored on promoting equality and diversity. Some key points include:
- LGBTQ+ Equality: Having formed strong ties with Florida’s LGBTQ+ community, Krentcil has expressed her commitment to representing their interests in Washington.
- Diversity in Classrooms: She is adamant about the need to reintroduce and uphold diversity within educational curriculums.
A unique stance, Krentcil mentioned, “My platform is pro LGBTQ+; I would vote for RuPaul for President. Let’s mix it up with representation.”
One of Krentcil’s main appeals, as she suggests, is her transparent life. “The thing with my campaign is that you know everything about me from the start. There’s no skeletons or hidden secrets or shocking dirt to be revealed,” she said to Fox News Digital.
With her life documented in the media and her experiences spanning from personal challenges to the spotlight’s glare, Patricia Krentcil is now ready to embark on a new journey. Though she acknowledges she may not be “the most well-spoken, brilliant politician,” her life experiences, she believes, resonate with many. Her campaign, rooted in personal experience, seeks to represent those who often feel left out or unheard in today’s political discourse, , aiming to bridge the gap between everyday Americans and the power corridors of Washington.