SUMTER COUNTY – Sumter County Emergency alert announced that Sumter County is under a Tropical Storm Watch pending the arrival of Hurricane Matthew in a post on their website which read:
Sumter County is now under a Tropical Storm WATCH pending the arrival of Hurricane Matthew. This means that sustained winds of 39 to 73 mph are EXPECTED sometime within 36 hours. You should expect the following:
• Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters.
• Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled.
• Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
Please take this time to continue to prepare. We would also like you to know:
• Schools will be open tomorrow
• Routine government services are still available
• Sandbags are not available
• Shelters have not been activated
If you or a family member requires evacuation assistance or additional care, please register them at: https://snr.floridadisaster.org
You can register for weather warnings at:
Regular updates will be provided through our website or the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Facebook at Sumter County Sheriff’s Office-Florida or on Twitter at @SCSOFL.
All questions, comments, and concerns can be directed to (352) 689-4400.