Hurricane season is officially upon us! If you’ve never experienced a prolonged power outage (you must be new to Florida) you may have no clue what types of foods to stock up on. Try to prepare for the worst: no refrigerator, no microwave, no oven, no convenience store, and no restaurants. So you’ll be looking for food that can be preserved without refrigerating and eaten without being heated first. Oh joy.
Consider grabbing some of these for your last minute grocery run.
- Peanut butter
- Nuts & trail mixes
- Chips & crackers
- Granola & power bars
- Dried fruits
- Canned fruits & vegetables
- Fresh fruits & vegetables (for short term)
- Canned tuna, salmon, chicken, or turkey (Spare your family the sardines. That’s just gross.)
- Canned soups and chili
- Bottled water
- Sports drinks
- Instant coffee, tea, or cocoa
- Powdered milk
- Non-carbonated soft drinks
- Beef jerky
- Instant oatmeal
- Baby food & formula (for the little ones)
If you have any go-to’s for hurricane season that aren’t on this list, comment below so the rest of central Florida can add it to their list too!